Universal Healthcare for America

There is a lot of debate going on in America about healthcare, as there always has been. As a United States citizen, we’re recognizing more and more people without any type of health insurance, or they have health insurance with incredibly high premiums for very minimal coverage. Universal healthcare has a lot of benefits to it, and it’s something worth looking into.

Over the years, we’ve seen a fluctuation in percentage of how many U.S. citizens are uninsured. As of 2018, the uninsured rate of its people hit a four year high – and is continuing to rise. The majority of the people in this uninsured category are women, young adults, and households with low income. (https://news.gallup.com/poll/246134/uninsured-rate-rises-four-year-high.aspx)

Healthcare is a basic human right and should be accessible to anyone who wants/needs it. Universal healthcare would ensure that every human has access to health services of high quality, and wouldn’t do any financial harm to them.

The graph above shows that, even though we are not at a peak of how many citizens are uninsured, we are rising again. The cost of health insurance is becoming increasingly expensive and covering less services, making it less appealing for anyone to acquire insurance.

As a country, I think it is our responsibility to make sure everyone here has health coverage. It would save a lot more lives in the long run. The lower income would be able to have regular doctor visits, people who need life-long prescriptions would be able to have them at an affordable cost, and so on. Universal healthcare would target every person, rather than targeting the wealthy, as private insurance does. It simplifies the rule process, creates a healthier workforce, and lowers the cost of healthcare for the economy as a whole. (https://vittana.org/17-universal-health-care-pros-and-cons)

7 thoughts on “Universal Healthcare for America

1. Reflection: I agree Universal Health Care should be something the country should be looking into. Since it mentions “Incredibly high premiums for very minimal coverage”. This is what caught my attention and it should to everyone, universal healthcare will impact in a good way a lot of people.

2. I think that your last point in:
    “Universal healthcare would ensure that every human has access to health services of high quality, and wouldn’t do any financial harm to them.” is incorrect, as you are discounting the elites who are leeching on the current healthcare system. Those that fall under the category would in fact receive financial harm, as their pockets would suffer rapid weight loss if the money spent on healthcare was circumvented to the people that need it via universal healthcare. According to nytimes, hospitals stand to lose billions through medicare for all and its variants : https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/21/health/medicare-for-all-hospitals.html .
    If I were to correct the statement, it would go from: “Universal healthcare would ensure that every human has access to health services of high quality, and wouldn’t do any financial harm to them.” to “Universal healthcare would ensure high quality and affordable health services” (this depends on the type of universal healthcare that is being proposed).
    This correction may seem nit-picky and inconsequential to some, but it is important that everything be comprehensible with only one interpretation to avoid misunderstanding and misinformation

3. *Correction
    Suggestion:
    I think that your last point in:

4. Suggestion: I think when you said “Universal healthcare would ensure that every human has access to health services of high quality, and wouldn’t do any financial harm to them” you made a very good point. What I find myself wanting however is some proof hind this statement. In doing this, your argument will become more valid and easier to understand in a sense. If someone who doesn’t agree with this statement reads it they will just move on from the post itself but if you give some evidence you are more likely to create a more evenly non biased and comprehensive argument. The financial harm part is the most concerning. I would suggest say that exactly but before ending the paragraph throw in some facts or relate it to another country that has already made the change. For example I would suggest adding in something like “Americans spending on health care is extremely harmful. For example the average american pays $10,739 a year where the average canadian (where universal health care is present) pays only $5,789”.

-https://www.cms.gov/Research-Statistics-Data-and-Systems/Statistics-Trends-and-Reports/NationalHealthExpendData/Downloads/highlights.pdf

-https://www.aimseducation.edu/blog/us-vs-canadian-healthcare-differences/

5. Reflection: I agree when you said, “As a United States citizen, we’re recognizing more and more people without any type of health insurance or they have health insurance with incredibly high premiums for very minimal coverage.“ Seeing as your graph shows the percentage of uninsured citizens rising again, universal healthcare sounds worth looking into.

6. Reflection: I agree, i as young adult getting health care was unappealing for quite a while. Recently i had to pay more my health insurance but ended up with less benefits. I’ve been told i would have to pay more taxes if i didn’t get health insurance. The main and only reason i even have it.

7. Reflection: I completely agree with his statement when he said “Healthcare is a basic human right and should be accessible to anyone who wants/needs it. Universal healthcare would ensure that every human has access to health services of high quality”. I’m for this because i myself do not have healthcare so i have to constantly worry about how not to get as physically hurt i usually do.